Senior pets typically have a difficult time getting adopted. They’re perceived as weak and illness-ridden and even discards in some cases. But these perceptions couldn’t be further from the truth.
Senior pets are in fact seriously awesome — they’re loveable and wise companions, they know what they want, and are much easier to handle than youngins. They ought to have a whole lot more of our love and attention than they’re currently given, and they definitely deserve to live out the rest of their lives in the comfort of a true forever home.
So, let’s work together to stamp out the senior pet stigma and make sure these elder animals don’t just become another shelter statistic.
In honor of Adopt a Senior Pet month, check out 10 awesome senior pets below, coming from all over the U.S. Then, be sure to spread the word to help them get adopted!
1. Shirley at Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah
Interested in Shirley? Don’t forget about her cage mate, Laverne, who is also an elder rabbit!
2. Rammy at Pasados Safe Haven in Sultan, Wash.
3. Camille at Muttville Senior Dog Rescue in San Francisco, Calif.
4. Chole at MSPCA at Nevis Farms in Methuen, Mass.
5. Bruno at For Our Friends Inc. in Bayside, N.Y.
6. Baby at Parrot Guardian in Winston Salem, N.C.
7. Hecter at Arrowhead Reptile Rescue in Cincinnati, Ohio
8. Julia at Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue in Union Lake, Mich.
9. Chester at Humane Society of Missouri-St. Louis County in Maryland Heights, Mo.
10. Maggie at Adopt a Stray in Hallandale, Fla.
Don’t forget about Maggie’s best friend, Autumn!
Image source: A. Davey / Flickr