Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
From funny moments to heartwarming ones, dogs, like many companion animals, are there for us when we need them. It only makes sense that we return the favor by becoming kind and loving guardians to a rescue pooch (or two).
During Adopt a Senior Pet Month, we introduced you to 10 awesome senior pets, and now we’d like you to say hello to 10 equally awesome mutts in honor of National Mutt Day.
National Mutt Day actually falls on two separate days every year – today (Dec. 2) and during the summer on July 31. Why two days? Because, according to the National Mutt Day website, a large majority of dogs living in shelters across the nation are mixed breeds and additional awareness needs to be raised about their plight.
While demand for purebred dogs from breeders and puppy mills still remains high, if we continue to gush about the amazing mutts available right now in shelters then we might just see the day when shelter dogs outnumber bred dogs in homes.
Help give mutts a chance by spreading the word about the following 10 dogs waiting for their forever homes. As the National Mutt Day website says, let’s embrace, save and celebrate mixed breed dogs.
1. Cookie from Project Pet, Inc. in Yonkers, N.Y.
2. Smidge from Save a Dog in Sudbury, Mass.
3. Lucky from RetroDoggy Rescue in Commerce, Mich.
4. Cindy from Humane Society of Wilkes in North Wilkesboro, N.C.
5. Bonnie from Second Chance Rescue and Rehoming, Inc. in Gainesville, Fla.
6. Momma from Haven Animal Care Shelter in Lubbock, Texas
7. Bear from Humane Society of Atchison in Atchison, Kan.
8. Harry from Rimrock Humane Society in Roundup, Mont.
9. Tinker from Nike Animal Rescue Foundation (NARF) in San Jose, Calif.
10. Hilda from Pet Allies in Slow Low, Ariz.
Image source: Bad Apple Photography