Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Paul Hawthorn, 56, from Luton, southeast England, went viral on TikTok after he saved a dog at Leagrave station. @getinthebarth posted the video and said that the train was coming, but the Staffordshire bull terrier couldn’t get up.
Thankfully, Hawthorn, an employee, saved the dog and can be seen holding onto him on the platform. The dog looks happy and is licking the man who saved his life.
“People dump dogs at stations like this all the time 💔 for every evil person there is a kind hearted one,” @getinthebarth captioned the video.
Hawthorn told Newsweek that he was working when he heard about the dog running around on the platform. He ran to assess the situation.
“Then my worst fear was realized as it jumped down on the tracks. I was thinking ‘What should I do?’ and then my training kicked in. I rang the signalman to caution the trains, getting them to slow down ready to stop if necessary,” Hawthorn told Newsweek.
Although he couldn’t go down on the tracks, the coffee kiosk had some croissants, and he was able to lure the dog to him, and he was able to grab and pull up the pup.
“I couldn’t let go—it would have wriggled free again—so I just held on and two people came along and hauled me up to my feet.”
Although the TikTok user thought that the dog was dumped, Newsweek reported that the dog had just escaped from a garage door that was left open.
According to national estimates, approximately 6.3 million companion animals are abandoned and enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. In the US alone, over 5.4 million cats are killed on the side of the road. If you happen to notice an animal on the side of the road, whether or not the animal is injured, safely put on the hazard lights and pull your car completely off the road before attempting to rescue them, says the Humane Society.
- Two Dogs, One Found Covered in Feces and the Other in a Kill Shelter Become Best Friends
- Dog is Saved From Busy Freeway and is Adorably Named Freeway
- Dog Famous For Riding Seattle Transit By Herself Has Passed Away
- Terrified Senior Dog Gets Dropped Off at Shelter But is Adopted Immediately After ‘Please Save Him’ Plea on TikTok
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!