@kendahlsss is the director of the non-profit Uno’s Home in Alabama. When she rescued a dog that she was told needed to be euthanized, she knew that time and some TLC could get this pup back to being his happy self. The dog, King, was involved in a dog fight and was ultimately saved from a high-kill shelter.
Slowly but surely, King began to trust Kendahl. He spent a lot of mornings not wanting to get up, but in the afternoon, his spirits were higher. The poor dog had multiple drains and open lacerations all over his body.
With lots of visits and check-ups, King finally began to heal and began trusting his rescuer more and more.
Finally, King had his wound drains removed, and the end was finally in sight! Now he goes to the vet every day for laser therapy.
We are sure that King is so grateful for Kendahl! In other good news, euthanasia rates at shelters have been rapidly declining for the past ten years. Falling more than 75 percent since 2009, big city shelters have moved toward adoption instead of putting animals down. According to the ASPCA, 6.5 million cats and dogs enter shelters around the United States each year. In 2011, that number was 7.2 million. And euthanasia has declined, around 1.5 million animals are euthanized annually, down from 2.6 million in 2011.
Unfortunately, many dogs are still euthanized. We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Dramatic Video of Dog Rescued From Lake Michigan Rip Currents
- Dog Rescued After Being Thrown into the Harlem River
- Awesome Dog Rescue Team Helped Save a Wild Bunny From the Freeway and Get Him Home! (VIDEO)
- Dog Rescue Far Out at Sea Goes Viral on TikTok
- Dog Rescues Drowning Friend
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!