Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Watch this incredible rescue of a turtle that was trapped and wrapped in fishing gear waste. A TikTok of the rescue posted by @_nickfry with the caption “Please pick up your rubbish so our wildlife don’t suffer!” has now gone viral with over 13 million views.
Three men are on a boat, and they see a sea turtle that is tangled up in some fishing gear. The turtle is being weighed down by the gear, so two of the men jump in and grab the turtle to try to get the thing off of him. They got him untangled and then set the animal free back into the ocean. Back on shore, they threw away the garbage and emphasized that people need to pick up their garbage and not toss it into the oceans!
“So nobody says anything about the fact, that it’s an industrial fishing net and not just home trash/plastic? It’s not only us but the fishing industry,” one user commented.
Every year, around 300,000 whales, dolphins, and porpoises become fatally entangled in fishing gear, while about 250,000 sea turtles are accidentally captured, killed, or injured by fishermen. Other animals that are frequently caught as bycatch include sharks (400,000 per year, to be exact), stingrays, and seals.
We need to stand up to the fishing industry!
- Entangled Seal Finally Relaxes After Rescuers Remove Fishing Line
- Dive Instructor Rescues Shark Entangled in Fishing Line with Hook in Mouth
- Baby Seal Interrupts Rescuers While Freeing An Entangled Seal [Video]
- Maine’s Lobstermen and Conservationists Battle Over Entangled Whales
- Alaska Residents Skip Thanksgiving Preparations to Rescue Whale Entangled in Fishing Gear
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!