Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The men have been accused of breaking into the safari Parc Omega in Quebec and shooting three wild boars and an elk. The killings have shocked and devastated the park.
Mathieu Godard and Jeremiah Mathias-Polson broke through a barrier at the Parc Omega earlier this month. The Guardian reported that a security guard on duty noticed a vehicle that had illegally entered the park and immediately notified the police. However, only moments later, he heard gunshots.
“The police quickly arrived and located and intercepted a vehicle. Both men were arrested. Police found four animal carcasses inside the vehicle,” Quebec provincial police spokesperson Marc Tessier said in a press release.
Police seized firearms from the vehicle, and now the pair are facing charges of wilfully killing animals kept for a lawful purpose, breaking and entering, illegally transporting firearms, and unlawfully firing a firearm during a break and enter.
“We have put all the necessary efforts in place to ensure that this situation does not happen again, for everyone’s safety and for the safety of our precious animals,” Billie-Prisca Giroux, Omega park spokesperson, said in a statement.
Godard, one of the men, works as a hunting guide. He was released on bail last week and is prohibited from entering the park, communicating with Mathias-Polson, and from carrying a gun. He is also not allowed to consume drugs or alcohol.
Mathias-Polson was already on probation when he was arrested for murdering the animals at the safari, and he remains in custody in Quebec. This is heartbreaking, and we hope that these men will be punished to the full extent of the law.
- Dr. Oz Role in Animal Experiments That Killed Over 300 Dogs and Tortured Hundreds of Other Animals
- Officer Shot and Killed 15-Foot-Long Pet Snake That Was Strangling its Owner
- Family Mourns Death of Beloved Dog After Neighbor Shot and Killed Him
- 10 Times Activists Were Silenced, Deplatformed, or Killed
- White-Nose Syndrome Has Killed Millions of Northern Long-Eared Bats
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!