Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
When Josh and Kelly Rheaume brought home their newborns, they were worried that their dog of seven years, Lucy, would feel left out and forgotten. However, all of their worries vanished when Lucy stepped up and become the best guardian for the babies.
“She was confused,” Josh tells TODAY.com. “For about five, six days, she was very standoffish… She tried to go in the car seat…trying to take their place so she could get our attention again. It was quite sad actually.”
However, once she adjusted, she fell in love with the babies.
“We learned pretty quickly that what we had to do was include her in as much as we could,” Josh says. “With all the tricks that I had trained Lucy over the years, we figured that we could put them into action.”
Lucy is great at learning new tricks, so when they brought the twins home, they decided to teach her things that could help them and make her feel included. They taught her how to get a milk bottle, clothes, a thermometer, and more.
“The thing about Lucy (is) she has very good item recognition and word association,” he explains.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Adorable Video Goes Viral of Cat Playing in the Snow
- Hilarious TikTok of Cat Jumping and Hiding in Christmas Tree Goes Viral
- Instagram Influencer Faces Backlash After Clip Goes Viral of Her Kicking a Dog
- Cat Goes Viral For Hanging Out with Bag of Chips on His Head
- Pup Goes Viral For Insane Dance Moves to Beyoncé Song
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!