Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In the latest animal news, a friendly beluga whale who’s become a celebrity in Norway. Known for his amicable nature, Hvaldimir’s been swimming the Norwegian coast since 2019, often spotted playing with boat-goers and grazing on surplus fish at farms.
However, locals have been advised to “avoid contact” with Hvaldimir to avoid accidentally injuring or killing it.
With his recent move into the inner Oslofjord, a densely populated area, the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries has expressed concern. The risk of injury due to increased human contact, particularly from boats, has heightened significantly. Despite Hvaldimir being a protected species and used to human company, Fisheries Director Frank Bakke-Jensen has urged the public to keep their distance to prevent accidental injury or, in the worst-case scenario, the whale’s death.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Captive Beluga Whale and Bottlenose Dolphin Die at Marineland Months After Kiska Died at Same Abusement Park
- Beluga Whales Named Little Grey and Little White are Finally Free After Being Transported from an Aquarium to a Sanctuary!
- Amazing! Pod of Beluga Whales Have Adopted a Lost Narwhal as Their Own (VIDEO)
- First-Ever Beluga Whale Sanctuary to Open in Iceland!
- Stunning New Documentary Shines a Light on the Plight of Captive Beluga Whales
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!