A heartbreaking video went viral of a horse and cart race on a motorway with the driver aggressively whipping the horses.
3 horse harness race (sulky race) on the M3 this morning on the @meathcoco @Fingalcoco border
1 horse being whipped aggressively.
If you saw this race, contact Gardaí@SimonHarrisTD @DarraghOBrienTD @gardainfo @agriculture_ie @McConalogue @pippa_hackett @TIITraffic @RSAIreland pic.twitter.com/ZpVhAFGIpV
— Animal Law Ireland | Knowledge is Power (@AnimalLawIE) January 15, 2023
The drivers can be seen “aggressively whipping” the horses during the race down the M3 motorway in Ireland, between Dublin and Meath. Animal group Animal Law Ireland shared the video on Twitter with the caption,
“3 horse harness race (sulky race) on the M3 this morning on the @meathcoco @Fingalcoco border”
“1 horse being whipped aggressively. If you saw this race, contact Gardaí”
The footage was filmed by a car that was traveling behind the racers. The Irish justice minister Simon Harris reportedly called the footage “appalling” and asked for anyone with information to alert law enforcement.
“I have seen online video of an appalling incident of 3 horse harness race/sulky race on the M3 this morning. Horrific abuse of animals and a major danger to motorists,” he said.
“If anyone has any information on this, please report it to Gardai to ensure this can be fully pursued.”
Animal Law Ireland said that the race takes place almost “every weekend in Dublin and across the country.” This is absolutely heart breaking and needs to stop! Learn more about how to help through Animal Law Ireland.
Animal abuse is more prevalent than many may think. According to PetPedia, every 60 seconds, an animal suffers from abuse, with more than 65 percent being dogs. More than 10 million animals die from abuse every year in the US alone, not including the livestock bred for consumption, who also suffer immense abuse. Animal abuse happens everywhere and is a serious issue. We need more laws to protect animals and hold abusers accountable. Sign this petition to demand all states make all animal abuse a felony now!
Not Your By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Senior Horse Rescued From Heartbreaking Conditions After Human Passed Away
- Horse Rescued From Icy Lake in Wisconsin
- The Gentle Barn Set to Open New York Sanctuary Following Death of NYC Carriage Horse, Ryder
- Trainer Brings Horse Into Busy Pub and Puts Beer on His Lips for a Photo Opp, PETA Calls it a Cheap Publicity Stunt
- Owl Steals Child’s Stick Horse and Flys Around Neighborhood in True Halloween Spirit
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!