Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Seven sheep miraculously escaped a slaughterhouse in New Jersey and found their way to an animal rescue to start a new life.
Source: Eyewitness News ABC7NY/Youtube
Seven sheep escaped from a slaughterhouse in Paterson, New Jersey and several ended up near a Dunkin Donuts and Sealy Mattress store before being rescued. Some of the sheep had tags on their ears and red spots on their coats, which signifies that the animals are for slaughter, WABC-TV reported.
Residents spotted six of the sheep roaming around the streets and called animal control to pick them up. The news outlet reported that one sheet made a run for it and ran a few miles before being captured.
“The Paterson Police Department did a phenomenal job. We took two of the sheep, and ended up putting them in the back of a police car. We escorted them up here with their lights and [sirens] on,” John DeCando with Paterson Animal Control told WABC-TV.
Luckily, Paterson Animal Control decided that the sheep would not return to the slaughterhouse and contacted Skylands Animal Sanctuary and Rescue in Sussex County instead. The facility gladly agreed to take the animals and care for them the rest of their lives.
“It’s a great feeling knowing that [the sheep are] not going to be on someone’s plate,” DeCando said.
Now the sheep will start a new life with a barn of their own on a 600-acre sanctuary. We are so happy that these sheep are getting a second shot at life! Thank you to Paterson Animal Control for contacting the sanctuary.
- Twin Cows Tabitha and Titus Worked Together to Escape Slaughter
- 2 Unwanted Baby Goats Escape Slaughter Thanks to the Kindness of One Rescuer (VIDEO)
- Brave Bull And His Brothers Escape a Slaughterhouse
- Goat Escapes Slaughter Truck on New Year‘s Eve
- Cow That Escaped Slaughterhouse is Now in Sanctuary
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!