A new bill in Virginia could outlaw cat declawing procedures across the entire state, and there is no reason that this should not pass.
Source: 13News Now/YouTube
Maryland and New York have already made declawing illegal, and it’s time for Virginia and the rest of the states to outlaw this cruel and unnecessary practice. Several cities across the US have also banned the cruel surgery, including Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Denver.
Declawing is a surgery that is performed by veterinarians across the world, despite the growing awareness of how inhumane the practice is. Declawing isn’t just simply removing a cat’s fingernails (but imagine having all of your fingernails yanked out, that’s awful enough.) Declawing is ten separate amputations of the last bone and nail in each of their toes. For humans, it would be like cutting off each finger at the last knuckle.
Sign this petition to demand the Virginia General Assembly pass this bill into law and finally ban declawing!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand New Mexico and West Virginia Finally Ban Bestiality
- Demand FIFA Take Accountability For the Thousands of Migrant Workers That Have Died in Qatar
- Protect Fungi That Have Long Been Neglected in Conservation
- Pledge to Protect Cats From the Cold This Winter
- Tell Ohio to Stop Killing Mink That Escaped From Deadly Fur Farm
- Tell Germany to Ban Circus From Using and Abusing Animals For Show
- Tell Congress to Finally Pass A $15 Federal Minimum Wage
- Demand Investigation into the Kansas PD For Ignoring Evidence of a Racist Serial Killer for Months
- Tell the Chinese Government to Stop High-Rise Factory Farm That Will Slaughter 1.2 Million Pigs Each Year
- Tell Australia to Invest in Effective Animal Cruelty Prevention Laws
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!