The Dartmoor Zoo allows visitors as young as eight years old to pay to play, suit up with gloves, and tug on a rope that passes below the cat enclosure where one of the park’s great felines has a slab of meat — tied to a rope — squarely in their jaws. The “human v beast” competition, as the zoo calls it, is a cruel game that has nothing to do with conservation or educating the public and instead is all about making money.
The zoo tries to justify this cruelty by claiming it keeps the male Amur tiger, Dragan, and African lion, Jasiri, healthy, physically and intellectually. The zoo owner even went as far as to say, “People are making a fuss about nothing. I think this is 100% the right thing to be doing; the lion loves it.”
However, this could not be further from the truth. There is a big difference between a sanctuary or reserve and a zoo or park. Wild animals should be in their natural habitat with their own kind. Because they don’t belong in enclosures or cages, they suffer mental and health problems such as obesity, boredom, stress, and zoochosis.
Zoos are made for humans, not animals. These stressful conditions are detrimental to their health and their basic needs are overlooked. It’s time to stop pretending zoos are useful tools for conservation and animal well-being. They are not. Sign this petition to help stand up for big cats Amur tiger, Dragan, and African lion, Jasiri, and tell the Dartmoor Zoo to cut the rope on this misguided attraction.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Investigation into Cruel Abusive Goat Farm
- Investigate White Birch Farm for Animal Abuse
- Tell France to Include Golf Courses in Water Restriction Rules
- Kids Shouldn’t Need Bulletproof Backpacks! Tell Senate to Ban Assault Weapons
- Decriminalize Same-Sex Marriages in Singapore
- Demand Florida Restore Healthcare for Trans People!
- Tell the US to Follow Scotland and Make Period Products Free!
- Demand Raise in Taxes for the World’s Billionaires
- Charge Jake Paul For Driving Through Protected Beaches for Endangered Turtle Nesting!
- Demand Disney Take Responsibility for Massacre of Lemmings and Set the Record Straight!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!