Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
From July 1, 2018, to November 30, 2019, 56 racehorses died at the infamous Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. According to the California Horse Racing Board, 16 horses died in 2020, and 19 died in 2021. Just this May, a 4-year-old colt died at the park, making it the second racehorse death in two days and the third in the previous six days.
A 2012 New York Times investigation found that 90 percent of horses that break down on the track had pre-existing injuries. The horses are often given painkillers so that they can continue to be used and abused to run the track. However, when Santa Anita announced a ban on race-day medications, the death count continued to climb.
Racing horses are mistreated on racetracks around the United States. In 2018, almost 10 horses died a week in the country. That’s significantly higher than the number of recorded racing horse deaths in Europe or Asia. From doping to the general abuse of animals, there’s something incredibly wrong with the racehorse industry. To make matters worse, fractures are a death sentence for horses and have proven to be a quite frequent occurrence.
Sign this petition to ask the city of Arcadia and L.A. County to shut Santa Anita Park down for animal abuse!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Tell Florida Hotels to Allow Hurricane Victims to Bring Their Pets to Stay
- Demand Animal Cruelty Charge For Montana Woman Who Shot and Skinned a Dog
- Tell Austalia that Kangaroos are Not Pets
- Demand Investigation into Gainsville PD After K9 Ripped Out Black Man’s Eye During Traffic Stop
- Fire Officers Who Arrested a Black Man For Watering His Neighbor’s Flowers
- Demand Justice For Woman Who Was Handcuffed in a Parked Car on Train Tracks and Was Hit by a Train
- Demand Universal Meals Programs for Children Across the United States
- Demand Iran Drop the Death Penalty and Free LGBTQ+ Activists
- Suspend Environment Harming Cattle Ranching on U.S. Public Lands and National Parks
- Investigate Dr. Oz for Medical Scams
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!