This 18-month-old lion had his teeth ripped out, claws painfully removed, and lived a sad life as a captive prisoner in the dense city of Phnom Penh, Cambodia by an owner that wanted him as a pet. In this viral video, you can see the lion pacing in a small backyard. After the video gained attention, Cambodian authorities began investigating, and he almost began his new life at the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Center (PTWRC) until Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped in, and sent the lion right back to its life of captivity. This poor lion is being locked up and tortured like a prisoner in a small backyard without adequate care. These majestic creatures should be in the wild with their families, free to roam free and engage in natural behaviors.
Source: AFP News Agency/Youtube
Lions are classified as vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, and their population dropped 43 percent between 1993 and 2014. Wild animals are not and can never be pets, even if raised from when they are cubs. They need someone to fight for them and they deserve to be protected. We must normalize not locking up wildlife and using them in stressful ways for attractions, profit, or as pets. Sign this petition and demand that the Cambodian Minister of Agriculture Veng Sakhon insist that this lion be once again rescued, for good!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Elephants Shouldn’t Be Taught to Perform Unhealthy Tricks
- Ban the Yulin Dog Meat Festival Once and For All
- Tell Harvard to return human remains to the communities they belong to
- Demand America’s prosecutors refuse to prosecute abortions
- Stop McConnell’s ploy to deny school meals to millions of hungry kids
- Hold Verizon and AT&T accountable for pretending to be LGBTQ+ Allies
- Expel Ron Johnson for trying to overturn the election with fake Trump electors
- End the Annual Canadian Seal Hunt
- Save the Trout and Salmon Population in Scotland
- Free Happy the elephant From Her ‘One-Acre Prison’
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!