Since 2012, every single baby elephant born at ABQ BioPark has died tragically of endotheliotropic herpesvirus (EEHV). This includes three of Rozie the elephant’s babies. Amid her mourning, the zoo will likely forcibly impregnate her again for their profit. Although ABQ BioPark has spent millions to upgrade the park, tragically the elephant enclosure is still much too small and removed from their wild, natural habitat. It’s heartbreaking to imagine the many years of loneliness and pain that Rozie has endured. Her health and psychological well-being are at-risk the longer she lives in isolation. Zoos won’t do the right thing until the wrong thing stops being profitable.
Source: KOB 4/Youtube
It’s about time we question the effects of captivity on animals that roam up to 50 miles a day in the wild, about what goes on behind the scenes when elephants aren’t performing tricks for our amusement. We have a responsibility to respect and honor the exceptional qualities of elephants — their capacity for self-awareness, empathy, and grief, their ability to communicate across vast distances, and their strong and enduring familial bonds. Sign this petition to demand that the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) revoke the license for ABQ BioPark and prevent more innocent elephants from dying!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Save These Animals From Slowly Suffocating to Death in These Three States
- Reject Bill That Would Ban Women From Traveling Out Of State For Abortions
- Stop People From “Listing” Adopted and Fostered Children on Facebook
- Investigate Ivanka Trump for perjury!
- Support the British Transport Workers’ Strike
- Tell Putin to Halt The Use of Marine Mammals In Acts of War
- Demand Florida Commit to Installing Air conditioning In All of Its Prisons
- Kick Out Republicans Promoting White Supremacist Ideology
- Demand Lifetime Animal Ownership Ban on Woman Who Set a Conscious Dog on Fire
- Curb The Escalation of Violence By Animal Abusers
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!