Recently, The International Union for Conservation of Nature, the world’s most comprehensive scientific authority on the status of species, classified the magnificent migratory Monarch butterflies as endangered after decades of declining populations.
Source: KPIX CBS SF Bay Area/YouTube
Monarch caterpillars can only eat milkweed, and the females deposit eggs on milkweed plants from Texas to Canada. However, habitat destruction and pesticides on these plants have led to a huge decline in these populations. Farmers began using crops that were genetically modified to withstand glyphosate, a herbicide that is used in the weed killer Roundup. This killed milkweed plants that monarch caterpillars are dependent upon. Extreme weather, like droughts and wildfires, has also led to a decline in milkweed plants.
The United States Government must act quickly to list the Monarch butterfly under the Endangered Species Act so that they are protected and can be saved!
Sign this petition to put pressure on the Fish and Wildlife Service to list the butterflies under the Endangered Species Act!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Investigation into Cruel Abusive Goat Farm
- Investigate White Birch Farm for Animal Abuse
- Tell France to Include Golf Courses in Water Restriction Rules
- Kids Shouldn’t Need Bulletproof Backpacks! Tell Senate to Ban Assault Weapons
- Decriminalize Same-Sex Marriages in Singapore
- Demand Florida Restore Healthcare for Trans People!
- Tell the US to Follow Scotland and Make Period Products Free!
- Demand Raise in Taxes for the World’s Billionaires
- Charge Jake Paul For Driving Through Protected Beaches for Endangered Turtle Nesting!
- Demand Disney Take Responsibility for Massacre of Lemmings and Set the Record Straight!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!