Sadly, pangolins are the most trafficked wild mammals in the world, hunted for their meat, scales, and leather. They are highly sought after in China and Vietnam for their meat, which is considered a delicacy. According to the World Wildlife Fund, an estimated 1,000,000 pangolins were trafficked over 10 years. In 2019, data showed a pangolin is poached every three minutes.
Despite being protected under national and international laws, the animals are illegally trafficked and used in folk remedies and medicine, as food, and to create boots and handbags. All eight species are on the IUCN’s red list, ranging from “Vulnerable” to “Critically Endangered.”
Source: National Geographic/Youtube
The trade of pangolins and illicit trafficking of bushmeat and live wild animals is a multi-faceted problem with devastating effects. If more people understand the threat to pangolins, we can create awareness to fund conservation efforts and enforce protection. Sign this petition to tell the Unicode Consortium to make a pangolin emoji for World Emoji Day!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Justice for Monkeys at UC Berkeley Who Were Dehydrated Until They Had Sunken Eyes
- Pass Utah Bill To Extend Protection to Animals in Domestic Violence Cases
- Demand Justice For Murdered Rhino Protector in South Africa
- Tell NYC Mayor Eric Adams to Ban Cruel Horse Drawn Carriages
- Demand Justice for Nearly 30 Puppies and Dogs Who Were Found Bleeding, Hairless, and Eating Each Other Alive
- Ask Congress to Pass Bill to Address Racial Disparities in Maternal Health
- Demand California Lawmakers Provide Affordable Housing
- Demand Congress Give Right to Divorce at Anytime Regardless of Pregnancy Status
- Protect Lake County’s Greenway Corridor
- Demand FOX News Host be Charged With Recklessly Endangering the Life of an Abortion Doctor
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!