A bill in Ohio preventing animal shelters from using gas chamber euthanasia on animals thankfully looks like it will pass — but the method is still actively used in three other states. Gas chamber euthanasia is inhumane, unnecessary, and heartbreaking. Animals are placed into the chambers without sedation and carbon monoxide is released. However, it takes about 20 to 30 minutes for an animal to die in a gas chamber, where they suffer greatly in their final moments.
As opposed to injections where animals lose consciousness within seconds, animals in gas chambers lose consciousness only after their vital organs have started to shut down, prolonging the pain. Utah is one of just three states where the method is still used, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
Source: FOX 13 News Utah/Youtube
There is no ethical way for gas chambers to provide humane euthanasia for shelter populations. The sights, sounds, and smells of the equipment are all terrifying for these animals, who are often old, ill, or injured, and already feeling distressed and uncomfortable. Sign this petition to ban gas chamber euthanasia in Utah, Wyoming, and Missouri!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Stop This Zoo From Allowing Visitors To Play Cruel Games With Their Big Cats
- Tell U.S. Lawmakers to Finally Protect Big Cats
- Demand Justice for Nearly 30 Puppies and Dogs Who Were Found Bleeding
- Ban All Animal Abusers From Living With or Owning Animals Ever Again
- Help Stop the Inhumane Killing of Cats on Kangaroo Island
- Demand Limits on Climate Catastrophe Private Jet Rides
- Protect Lake County’s Greenway Corridor
- Demand These Companies Remove ‘Forever Chemicals’ From Period Products
- FIFA and Its Partners Should Compensate the Workers Who Built It
- Fire U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services For Slaughtering Wild Animals
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!