Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Paul McCartney wrote a letter to the Indian government on PETA India’s behalf asking for the rescue of an elephant named Jeymalyatha. Jeymalyatha is being held captive at a temple in Tamil Nadu, India and recent PETA footage showed the poor animal being beaten while chained and abused with pliers by her caretakers.
Source: PETA India
PETA India found that her mahout was using weapons such as pliers to twist the elephant’s skin and beat her until the animal could be heard screaming in pain in the video. Jeymalyatha is chained to the floor and held captive in this temple. PETA says that she is chained by two legs for at least 16 hours a day and has infected feet from spending so much of her life standing on concrete. PETA India sent their findings to officials responsible for Jeymalyatha’s wellbeing.
After McCartney viewed PETA’s footage of the abused animal, he decided to send a letter to the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change official in India about Jeymalyatha in hopes of getting her relocated.
“I have considered India a spiritual place ever since I traveled there in the 1960s. I was impressed by India’s cultural love for animals. I know India reveres elephants, its national heritage animal, but cruelty to animals happens everywhere, even in India. What reflects on a country’s values is how that cruelty is addressed,” McCartney wrote in his letter.
“That’s why I am confident that action will be taken to send sorely abused elephant Jeymalyatha (Joymala) to a suitable rescue centre where she can receive the specialized care she needs for her psychological wounds, and can live unchained and in the company of others of her kind,” he added.
He concluded his letter by saying that Jeymalyatha has “suffered more than enough” and she “deserves to spend the rest of her time on this Earth the way away from her abusive trainers, rehabilitating, and with others of her kind.”
Read and learn more about why zoos are not happy places for animals:
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
- Paul McCartney Calls on COP26 Delegates to Adopt Plant-Based Treaty
- Jane Goodall, Paul McCartney, Ricky Gervais Among 100 Celebrities Who Have Pledged to Go Plant-Based in 2021 to Fight Climate Change
- Paul McCartney Calls for Ban on Wet Markets
- Paul McCartney Banned Meat From an Upcoming Show Because He Is Awesome.
- Paul McCartney, Rockstar and Animal Advocate, Serves Only Vegan Food At Recent Concert!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!