Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
“They say there’s like between 100 and 150 of them,” said Denise Bendl.
“A lot of people with farms are having trouble making ends meet. So, with 150 pigs, you can imagine,” she said.
The County of San Diego said that they believe the pigs were a breed that is often sold as pets. A spokesperson said that each pig could sell for $800 and $3,000.
Unfortunately, a few pigs have already been killed by passing vehicles on Mesa Grande Road, where they were dumped.
Ryan Valverde and his wife operate a nonprofit called Little Bitty Animal Sanctuary and were able to wrangle a mother and two babies into a crate, but they were not able to catch any more.
Valverde said he just wished that whoever abandoned the pigs would have called a sanctuary first.
The County of San Diego said that since the pigs are on the Mesa Grande Tribal land, the animal services office does not have any jurisdiction. They have offered to wrangle the pigs but have not heard back from tribal leaders.
- Pig Rescued From the Meat Industry Now Loves Getting Belly Rubs (VIDEO)
- Pig Rescued From Backyard Butcher is Learning to Walk Again After Life-Saving Hoof Amputation (VIDEO)
- Sweet Photo of Pig Rescued by a High Schooler Shows Us the Life These Animals Deserve
- Abandoned Piglet Loves Her Rescuer [Video]
- Rescued Special Needs Puppy and Flightless Pigeon are Best Buds!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!