Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Governor of New York, Kathy Hochul, announced $7.6 million to Support animal shelters and humane societies to make critical upgrades to shelters in the state.
This marks the fifth round of funding for New York State’s Companion Animal Capital Fund, the first state-funded program in the nation that is working to provide shelter improvement projects. These projects will be able to enhance animal care and help to ensure adoption for New York’s cats and dogs through funding.
“Our Companion Animal Capital Fund has made a real difference to shelters across New York State, and the animals in their care,” Governor Hochul said. “I’m proud to announce this latest round of funding, which will continue to build on the great work of this program, and most importantly help our animals stay happy and healthy as they await their forever homes.”
The newest round of funding brings the total dedicated to the program to over $27.5 million since 2017. To date, the program has awarded 58 projects across the state and 26 projects have been fully completed.
In 2022, Governor Hochul included the Companion Animal Capital Fund in her proposed Executive Budget. This was a first for the program and demonstrated the Governor’s commitment to New York’s animals. The Companion Animal Capital provides matching grants to shelter and humane societies to offset the costs associated with capital projects. These can include renovating dog kennels, improving medical facilities, or building more efficient shelters to reduce overall operational costs.
Funds are also used to construct, renovate, rehabilitate, or acquire buildings or equipment needed to house, treat, and care for sheltered dogs and cats, according to a press release from the Governor’s office.
We are so happy that shelters are finally getting this much-needed funding and we hope that other states will follow in the steps of these historic projects!
- Biden Administration Announces $100 Million in Funding For Environmental Justice Grants
- Petition: Demand Congress Provide Funding to New Technology That Could Clean Microplastics Out of Water
- EcoCart Raises over $14.5M in New Funding For Sustainable Shopping Software
- House of Representatives Passes Funding Bill That Will Help So Many Animals!
- Sustainable Ocean Alliance Receives $15 Million in Funding to Continue to Uplift ‘Ecopreneurs’
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!