A flock of sheep in China was filmed walking continuously in a circle for 12 days, which baffled the world. The mysterious occurrence might now have an explanation.
Source: Turning point/YouTube
The phenomenon was captured on video and posted on Twitter by a Chinese outlet, People’s Daily. The video shows the sheep on a farm in Inner Mongolia walking in a perfect circle. Most of the animals are engaging in the circle walk.
Matt Bell, professor and director at the Department of Agriculture at Hartpury University in Gloucester, England, told Newsweek about his possible explanation for the mystery.
“It looks like the sheep are in the pen for long periods, and this might lead to stereotypic behavior, with the repeated circling due to frustration about being in the pen and limited [as to where they can go]. This is not good. Then the other sheep join as they are flock animals and bond or join their friends,” Bell told Newsweek.
The animals moved like this for 12 days, but it is not known if they stopped at intervals to eat, drink, or sleep. The owner of the farm told the news outlet that only a few sheep were engaging at first, but gradually the whole flock started to follow suit.
Many have suggested that it could be due to listeriosis, a bacterial disease that is also commonly referred to as ‘circling disease.’ The disease can cause a lack of appetite, depression, and loss of coordination in sheep. However, the disease is usually fatal and causes death within two days, which doesn’t explain why the sheep continued to do this for so long.
- Man Has ‘Supernatural Sighting’ When Dog Mysteriously Vanishes in TikTok Video
- Alaskan Snow Crab Season was Canceled for the First Time in History Due to Over 1 Billion Crabs Mysteriously Missing
- Third Dolphin Mysteriously Dies at Las Vegas Casino in the Last Six Months
- Firefighters Rescue Dog Trapped at Bottom of a Mysterious 15-Foot Hole
- Mystery Illness in Dogs Linked to Beach Walks
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!