Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A man accused of stabbing farm animals at a high school in Monterey County has been charged with animal abuse, prosecutors announced this week.
Prosecutors said that Jose Marquez, a resident of Gonzalez, California, was arranged this week on the felony abuse charge as well as burglary and resisting police after he stabbed two lambs and injured a third lamb and a pig. The animals were a part of the school’s 4-H program.
Gonzales police said that they used surveillance footage to identify the 31-year-old man and arrested him last week after a short struggle. Marquez allegedly confessed to entering the campus on his bicycle and said that his only intention was to steal a tool. However, he said that he felt angry and bludgeoned the animals before leaving.
At his court hearing, a Monterey County Superior Court judge denied bail for Marquez, KRON 4 reported. Marquez has a prior conviction for domestic violence in 2018 and faces up to 19 years and eight months in prison if convicted of all charges, the District Attorney’s Office said.
It is important to take animal abuse allegations seriously and to report any suspected instances of animal cruelty to the appropriate authorities. Animal abuse not only causes harm and suffering to animals, but it can also be a sign of a larger pattern of violence or abusive behavior.
According to PetPedia, every 60 seconds, an animal suffers from abuse, with more than 65 percent being dogs. More than 10 million animals die from abuse every year in the US alone, not including the livestock bred for consumption, who also suffer immense abuse. Animal abuse happens everywhere and is a serious issue. We need more laws to protect animals and hold abusers accountable. Sign this petition to demand all states make all animal abuse a felony now!
- Petition: Ban This Animal-Abuser from Ever Having Animals Again
- Wild Animal Abuse: Subtle but Rampant on Social Media
- 9 Out of 10 Domestic Abusers Target Pets Study Finds
- Undercover Footage of Piglets at RSPCA-Backed Farm Reveals Shocking Abuse
- Wisconsin Veterinarian Facing Multiple Animal Abuse Allegations at His Clinic
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!