Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Officials became aware of the wolf-dog hybrids in Lower Franconia, the northwestern edge of Bavaria. German law requires that these hybrid animals be shot and killed to protect the local wolf population.
Wolf-dog hybrids are part wolf and part dog. Interbreeding is possible because domesticated dogs are descended from wolves. In many places, such as the US, wolf-dog hybrids are kept as pets. Estimates from the University of California, Davis found that there are around 300,000 of these hybrid animals in the US.
The German Federal Nature Conservation Act requires that hybrid puppies be shot. The mixing of the two can lead to genetic changes that could harm the gene pool.
Since the hybrids are over three months old, authorities opt for “lethal removal,” but when they find hybrids that are smaller than three months old, they will attempt to catch or shoot the animals. Authorities say that hybrid puppies are not able to adapt to permanent confinement in an enclosure and would suffer in captivity.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- These Unique Hybrid Animals Could Soon Roam the Earth Due to Climate Change
- Climate Change May Create Infertile Hybrid Animals
- Petition: Demand Animal Cruelty Charge For Montana Woman Who Shot and Skinned a Dog
- They Found a Sick, Abandoned Wolf-Hybrid on the Streets – And Changed Everything for Her (VIDEO)
- How to Adopt a Rescue Animal
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!