Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
April Goodwin opened a law firm in Largo in 2015, where she works with pet law to help dog and cat owners solve disputes.
When Goodwin first advertised her services for her firm, the business began slowly coming in, Yahoo News reported. She had previously read that pet law was recession-resistant, which piqued her interest, so when she started her firm, she began offering the service as well as handling employment law cases.
In 2020, around half of the cases that the Largo firm handled were pet law, Yahoo reported. Now, Goodwin says that the firm handles about twice as many pet law cases as they do employment law cases.
Unfortunately, pets are considered property under Florida law, where Goodwin’s firm is located. Goodwin handles everything from pet custody disputes to dog bites to veterinary malpractice cases.
Goodwin recommends that people get written proof of ownership when getting a new pet just in case of custody situations. To learn more about The Goodwin Firm.
- Biden Sends Off 2022 by Signing Five Animal Protection Measures into Law
- New Lawsuit Targets Toxic PFAS, or Forever Chemicals, in Plastic Food Containers
- D.C. to Pass Bill to Ban Declawing, Dog Fighting Equipment, and More to Prevent Animal Cruelty
- Petition: Tell the UK to Enforce Animal Protection and Animal Testing Laws Properly
- Petition: Call on the U.K. to Extend its Animal Welfare Laws to Fisheries
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!