Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Best Friends Pet Resource Center in Bentonville, Arkansas, has opened the very first cageless animal shelter in the United States.
Best Friends Animal Society opened the doors of the first cageless shelter on March 11 and welcomed the community and animal loves alike inside to check out the facility. What makes this shelter different is there are no cages or kennels and instead, the shelter takes a free-range approach and allows dogs and cats to roam free and live inside the shelter together.
Every pet that is up for adoption through the facility is matched up with a local foster family who takes them in each night and then returns them to the center during the day.
Susan Cosby, senior adviser of strategy and integration at Best Friends Animal Society, told Fox News Digital she believes the facility will cause a disruption in the sheltering industry.
“Right here in Northwest Arkansas, we’re actually creating the future of animal sheltering that we hope is going to be a model for our nation,” she said in an interview.
“Animal sheltering for the past 150 years has been really dependent on cages and kennels, bringing animals into an institutional system that wasn’t really designed to be overly friendly to the public,” she also said.
She told the outlet that the new center offers serves “both ends of the leash.” Visitors can enjoy the space’s amenities including an indoor slide for humans and also learn how to help animals in the community. The facility even features artwork by local Northwest Arkansas artists, lounge spaces, free WiFi and a coffee shop fueled by local roaster Third Space Coffee.
“It’s really hard to have your heart break walking into this facility,” she said. “It’s bright, it’s airy … [Imagine] your favorite coffee shop that was also an animal shelter.”
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Abandoned Dog Left Outside Shelter in Freezing Cold [Video]
- ‘Demon’ Dog Ralphie Returned to Shelter Again After Third Unsuccessful Adoption
- NYC Governor Hochul Announces $7.6 Million to Improve Animal Shelters
- Newly Adopted Dog Goes Missing and Turns Back up at Shelter 10 Miles Away
- North Carolina Shelter Accidentally Euthanizes Family Pet in Horrible ‘Human Error’
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!