A father posted on Reddit to ask if he was wrong for refusing to rehome his teenage son’s dog despite his new wife’s insistence.
AITA for prioritizing my son’s dog over my wife’s pregnancy? from AmItheAsshole
In the Reddit post by @TheGreatestGreatDane, the man explained that his fourteen-year-old son got a dog when he was 8, shortly after his mother died.
“My son loves this dog and does all the care for him (except vet stuff) and is a very responsible dog owner. This dog is pretty much his best friend.”
The father went on to explain that his new wife is 12 weeks pregnant and has started to become uneasy about the dog. He wrote that she avoids the dog and puts her hands over her stomach when he is around and “jolts whenever he makes a noise.” Then, she told him that she wanted to re-home the dog.
“My wife said I am prioritizing the dog over her pregnancy. The dog isn’t a threat to her pregnancy. If this were any other unreasonable request, I would just do it because she is pregnant. I just can’t break my son’s heart over a fear she has that makes no sense. Am I being an asshole?”
On Reddit, the father explained that he and his son trained the dog when he was just a puppy before he even met his wife. Reddit users agreed that he is ‘not the asshole’ and offered some advice on how to go about this situation. Many suggested that he and his wife get some help through counseling so that they can work on her fears and anxieties.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
Best Things In Life Are Rescued Tee By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Bride-To-Be Slammed on Reddit After Tricking Vegan Cousin into Eating Meat at Engagement Party
- Mom-to-Be Asks Reddit What is a ‘Vegan Name’?
- Reddit Users Debate Whether Accidentally Vegan Products Should Be Clearly Labeled
- Reddit Post Brings Back Story of World’s Largest Saltwater Crocodile Who Died in Captivity From Stress
- Reddit Bans Pro-Trump Subreddit on Hate Speech
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!