Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Two 20-day-old jungle cats were miraculously found in a sugarcane field in Maharashtra, India, by a farmer who was harvesting the field. The Maharashtra Forest Department teamed up with Wildlife SOS to make sure the two kittens were safely reunited with their mother.
Source: Wildlife SOS/YouTube
During sugarcane harvest season, farmers in Maharashtra need to be vigilant and cautious because several wildcats use the field as shelter. The dense and tall fields make it the perfect place for animals like leopards, jungle cats, and other animals to seek shelter.
Sugarcane farmers in Hivre village stumbled upon the cubs when they were harvesting the field and were able to stop in time to save them. The farmers alerted the Forest Department and a team of experts from Wildlife SOS who rushed to the scene.
A veterinary doctor with Wildlife SOS confirmed on the scene that the babies were healthy and fit to return to the wild. They were placed in a safe box and taken back to the field where the farmers found them. Cameras caught the cub’s mother slowly approaching them and carrying them away into the forest.
Dr. Chandan Sawne, Veterinary Officer, Wildlife SOS, said, “Reunion operations are extremely sensitive so measures have to be taken to ensure that they are successful. The cubs are held gently with gloved hands during examinations. Handling them is kept to a minimum so that this does not make them more anxious. The safe boxes are well-ventilated and usually placed in the spot where the cub was initially found to make the search easier for the mother.”
We are so glad that these farmers stopped just in time to save the cubs! What an amazing rescue.
- Two Lion Cubs Rescued From a Living Room Where They Were Kept as Pets [Video]
- Three Mountain Lion Cubs Rescued from California Wildfire
- Gaza Lion Cubs Rescued From Life as Pets, But Our Work Isn’t Over Yet
- Adorable Fox Cubs Rescued From a Walmart Parking Lot (VIDEO)
- Endangered Moon Bear Cubs, Sugar and Spice, Rescued From Cruel Circus
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!