Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This ‘eco-dog’ is helping to clean litter and plastic off the streets by collecting hundreds of plastic bottles during his daily walks. Scruff is a 13-year-old border collie and has become quite popular among residents.
Scruff’s pawrents, David Grant and Yvonne Faulkner-Grant adopted Scruff in 2009, and he always liked to play. He loved sticks, but he particularly began to love playing with bottles.
Then, in 2021, David and Yvonne noticed that on their walks, Scruff had a fascination for plastic bottles. He would pick one up and carry it until he found another.
“It seemed wrong that he would pick the bottle up and then drop it again—we thought people would think we were dropping litter,” said Yvonne. “So we got him to start bringing the bottles to us and we put them in a bag and then count them up at the end of the walk.”
In 2022, they began to count the bottles, and Scruff has now retrieved over 1,000 bottles this year. The couple began to share the pet’s recycling habits.
“We get such a good reaction on Facebook where Scruff has been dubbed an eco-dog,” said Yvonne. “People have said he should be working for the council, and everybody loves it when they see him in the street,” said David. “He is such an obedient dog and very friendly—your typical sheepdog. He never chews the bottles or the lids he just [wanted] to play.”
“Now, he seems to go out looking for them on walks.”
They are currently storing all of the bottles from the year, and on New Years’, the couple will do a big count. In 2023, they plan to recycle the bottles at the end of every month instead.
“Sometimes he collects 15 and sometimes it’s only one—it depends how dirty the streets are that day,” said David. “Someone said to me the other day that not all heroes wear capes and that is exactly what I think Scruff is doing—being a hero.”
“If a dog can do it anyone can.”
We love Scruff and all that he is doing to help clean up his community!
- Dog Survives For Weeks with Plastic Feeder Stuck on His Head
- Florida Officials Rescue Dog Thrown Off of Bridge in Plastic Container
- Determined Vet Wades Through 3-Feet of Snow for 6 Hours to Save Dog Trapped in Plastic Piping (VIDEO)
- This Actress Is Calling on the World to Ditch Plastic After the Tragic Loss of Her Dog
- After Senior Dog Was Deserted in Plastic Bag, Rescue Group Steps in to Save Him
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!