An animal shelter in Chattanooga, Tennessee, shared a heartbreaking note that was found next to a dog wandering the streets.
The dog, Lilo, was brought to the McKamey Animal Shelter in Chattanooga after she was found by a local walking alone with her leash still attached. The note was attached to her collar and read,
“Please keep my name. My name is Lilo. Please love me. My mom can’t keep me and is homeless with 2 kids. She tried her best but can’t get help. I cost too much for her. She really loves me, and I’m a great dog and loved to be loved on. Please don’t abuse me.”
The McKamey Animal Shelter shared a picture of the note on their Facebook page and reassured the mother that the dog would be loved and looked after.
“We want you to know she is safe, and we will take the very best care of her,” the message read. “But if you are reading this, we hope you will come forward to reclaim her. We will help you with whatever you need to care for her, to the best of our ability. Lilo definitely misses you, and we would like nothing more than to see her go back to the family she loves.”
A few days after the post, the animal shelter provided an update and said that Lilo’s mom had been located, and they were now “actively working with the family to set them up with a safe haven, shelter, and resources to stay together and tackle homelessness.”
According to national estimates, approximately 6.3 million companion animals are abandoned and enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. If you happen to notice an animal on the side of the road, whether or not the animal is injured, safely put on the hazard lights and pull your car completely off the road before attempting to rescue them, says the Humane Society.
Here are the full rescue tips that just may come in handy one day, and while you’re at it, sign this petition to demand all states make all animal abuse a felony now.
The Best Things In Life Are Rescued by Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- They Found a Sick, Abandoned Wolf-Hybrid on the Streets – And Changed Everything for Her [Video]
- A Pig Once Belonging to Logan Paul Found Abandoned with Ripped Ears and Uterus Infection
- Seven Abandoned Puppies Find their Forever Homes [Video]
- Woman Helps Raise Abandoned Baby Deer [Video]
- This Dog Was Left Abandoned for Six Years in Mexico Before Getting a Second Chance at Life
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!