Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
These Michigan coast guards ended 2022 by saving a dog from the icy Detroit River near Belle Isle.
Source: FOX 2 Detroit/YouTube
A team of coast guards was patrolling the river when they spotted a white and black dog who had fallen into the Detroit river. The coast guards jumped into action to save the pup.
22-year-old officer Cole Harper ventured out onto the thin ice near Grayhaven Island to pull the dog out of the freezing water. The rest of the team tethered Harper, who was in a dry suit, by a rope, and Harper was able to get the dog out of the water and back to safety. The dog was reportedly very happy and welcoming. She was thankful to the guards for saving her!
The dog was taken in by Detroit Animal Control, where they will wait to see if anyone claims her. Lucky for the pup, if no one comes forward to claim her, a member of the coast guard wants to adopt her and make her part of his family.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Wonky-Faced Dog Rescued From Qatar Desert is Now Hero of a Children’s Book
- Dog Rescued After Being Thrown into the Harlem River
- Stranded Dog Rescued From Floating Piece of Ice on River in Detroit
- Dog Rescued After 500 Days in Shelter, and Her Joy is Contagious!
- Awesome Dog Rescue Team Helped Save a Wild Bunny From the Freeway and Get Him Home! (VIDEO)
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!