Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Imagine a world where animals are subjected to thrill killing practices – killing contests for cash prizes, trophy hunting of endangered species, tormenting snakes for public entertainment, and helicopter hunting. This is not a dystopian fiction; this is reality as revealed by a shocking new investigation from leading animal welfare and Conservation non-profit, Born Free USA.
Their investigative report, “Thrill Kill: Recreational Animal Slaughter in the U.S.,” dives into the unsettling world of sport hunting. Unearthing practices of extreme cruelty, the report shows a blatant disregard for sentient lives, with thousands of animals killed each year for the sheer pleasure of the hunt.
Of particular concern is the state of Texas, which, due to its laissez-faire regulations, has become a hub for these brutal activities. However, the report underscores that these deplorable practices occur nationwide.
The investigation’s chilling findings reveal a disturbing picture. Inexperienced hunters firing automatic weapons from helicopters in a frenzy of excitement, children being encouraged to participate in the bloody spectacle of rattlesnake roundups, hunters laughing at the sight of injured animals in distress, and slow-moving creatures like porcupines targeted for “unique” hunts. To add insult to injury, these activities are often steeped in racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.
More than just a hobby or a sport, the thrill killing of animals involves staggering amounts of money. Killing contests have reportedly paid out more than $2.6 million in prizes since 2014.
Angela Grimes, CEO of Born Free USA, stated: “The animal suffering that we uncovered is on a scale that is difficult to comprehend and impossible to condone. This is not about population management or predator control; this is killing for the fun of it, plain and simple, and it must be stopped.”
It’s high time we acknowledge the brutal reality of thrill killing and work towards more compassionate interactions with wildlife. In response to the investigation’s findings, Born Free USA is urging significant reforms, including bans on killing contests, a transformation of rattlesnake roundups into events promoting kindness and respect for animals, removal of legal loopholes allowing helicopter hunting experiences for inexperienced hunters, and reinstatement of endangered species protections.
We can help these animals by not supporting the businesses that exploit them. Refrain from buying tickets to circuses, zoos, or movies that use wild animals. This will leave these companies with less financial Support to keep their cruel practices going. Today’s special effects and simulations provide the same visual experience as watching an animal on screen or stage without the involvement of cruelty or captivity. The film “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” wowed movie-goers with incredible computer-generated imagery (CGI) and considering the film brought in $100 million during opening weekend in the U.S. alone, and we think audiences and producers would agree.
- Petition: Tell Amazon to Stop Using, Exploiting, and Killing Animals For Entertainment
- PETA Condemns Horse Death on The Lord of the Rings Tragedy and Calls for Humane Practices in Entertainment
- PETA Slams Joel McHale’s New Sitcom For Exploiting Live Animals for Entertainment
- Petition: Tell the USDA to Shut Down Miami Seaquarium Which Starved Dolphins for Entertainment
- After 30 Years of Being Tortured For Entertainment, These Elephants Were Reunited!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!