Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
November 24th marks Thanksgiving for our friends in the US, which as we know is also a day tinged with sadness for so many intelligent, personable and curious turkeys whose lives are brought to an untimely end in the name of celebration. 🦃 So today, here at Edgar’s Mission we’d instead like to say to our turkey friends, “Thanks for Living” and also a big thank you to everyone who makes kinder choices every day for our animal friends. 🙏 #animalrescue #farmsanctuary #rescueanimals #friendsnotfood #tiktokforgood #tiktokpartner #thanksgiving #thanksliving #turkeys
Edgar’s Sanctuary is a non-profit farmed animal sanctuary that works to create a humane and just world for all. They also have adorable content on their TikTok page! Not only is their content adorable, but they are also teaching people all of the amazing things about farmed animals and why they are remarkable! Without further ado, here are five things that @edgarsmission thinks you might not know about turkeys!
- Turkeys are for loving, not for the oven!
- Turkeys love pats and cuddles!
- Male turkeys puff up their bodies and spread their beautiful feathers to attract a mate!
- Australia (where Edgar’s Mission is located) has a native breed of turkey called the Brush turkey. They are a protected species!
- Turkeys form strong and special bonds with their friends and family!
This Thanksgiving, approximately 46 million turkeys were killed and cooked for peoples’ dinner tables – the equivalent of the entire population of California. This is followed by another 22 million at Christmas and another 19 million at Easter. Turkeys, for whatever reason, have become a cultural staple food at major holidays. But this reliance on turkey meat is costly – for ourselves, the birds, and the planet as a whole.
Please share this video and spread the word to help spread awareness about just how awesome turkeys are!
- The Heartbreaking Life of a Farmed Turkey [Video]
- How Thanksgiving Turkeys Impact Our Planet
- POV: You’re a Turkey Who is Grateful to be Safe on Thanksgiving [Video]
- Watch This Rescuer Comfort a Rescued Turkey Before Thanksgiving [Video]
- Rescued Turkey Grooms Lamb Best Friend [Video]
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!