In this recipe, raw zucchini ribbons and tender lentils are tossed with a creamy, garlicky avocado dressing. The zucchini is light and refreshing, the lentils ensure that you won't be hungry one hour later, and the cherry tomatoes add a pop of flavor. Serve this meal on a bed of dark, leafy greens, with extra dressing on the side.
Zucchini Ribbons and Lentils [Vegan]
For the Zucchini Ribbons and Lentils:
- 1/2 cup dried green/brown lentils
- 2 zucchinis
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes
For the Dressing:
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 15 capers, or a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Rinse the lentils, add to a saucepan of water, and boil for 30 minutes. Once the lentils are done, drain them, and run through cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, wash the zucchini and chop off the ends.
- To make the ribbons, run the vegetable peeler down the entire length of the zucchini, pressing down slightly as you do.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters and arrange both the zucchini and tomatoes on a serving platter.
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to the blender and pulse until smooth — you may need to add more water, depending on the size of the avocado.
- Once smooth, taste the dressing to see if it needs anything else, such as more lemon juice, capers, or garlic powder, and adjust accordingly.
- Add the lentils to the zucchini ribbons on the platter and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with extra dressing on the side.