Need an extra dose of veggies? Try this unique and amazing spin on traditional ravioli! No pasta required.
Zucchini Ravioli [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3-4 zucchinis, sliced thin, with a knife, peeler, or mandolin
- 1 package of firm tofu, pressed of excess water
- 2-3 garlic scapes, roughly chopped
- Healthy/generous bunch of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of shredded vegan mozzarella
- Marinara sauce, jarred or homemade
- Shredded basil, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the zucchinis as described. any nubby bits leftover can be added to the filling, or used for baking, or added to soup.
- To make the filling, in a food processor add the pressed tofu. pulse it a few times to break it down. add the garlic scapes and parsley, pulse to incorporate. Add in salt and pepper to taste and pulse a few times more. you’re aiming for a well combined ricotta-like mixture.
- To assemble the ravioli, lay two zucchini slices one way and another two across it, you’re aiming for a lower case "T." Spoon about 1 and a 1/2 to 2 tablespoons worth of the tofu mixture in the middle. Fold the legs over, alternating, until a package is made. Continue with the rest of the slices and remaining filling.
- In a casserole dish, have a thin layer of marinara sauce. lay out the raviolis, seam side down. spoon sauce over and around the raviolis. They don’t need to be covered, but the amount is entirely up to you. Finish with the shredded cheese.
- Depending on the size of the casserole dish you used, bake for 30-35 minutes (for the smaller batch, 20 minutes).
- Garnish with shredded basil.