These zucchini-chickpea meatballs are rich in protein, due to the oats and chickpeas, are high in fiber, and are anti-inflammatory, thanks to ingredients such as garlic and lemon.
Zucchini-Chickpea ‘Meatballs’ With Marinara and Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 32-ounces marinara
- 8-ounces whole grain pasta
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, pulse the drained and rinsed chickpeas, garlic cloves, and rolled oats for 5-10 seconds. The mixture should be finely chopped and should hold together between your fingers when pressed together.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl along with the dried herbs, salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and shredded zucchini. **It is recommended you allow the zucchini to drain on a paper towel for at least 3 minutes to reduce excess moisture.
- Stir mixture together until well-combined. If the mixture is too wet to handle, add a little coconut or almond flour; you could also grind extra oats into the flour to absorb excess moisture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Then, scoop out heaping teaspoon-sized “meatballs” and roll into about 16 separate balls. Arrange on the baking sheet so the zucchini mixture is not touching, then bake the balls in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare pasta as directed. Once the zucchini balls are golden brown, remove them from the oven and set aside. Serve over warm, cooked pasta and delicious marinara sauce. Garnish the dish with basil and enjoy!