This will quickly become your new favorite cornbread recipe! And if you or someone in your family is a picky eater, this bread is a great way to sneak in some vegetables. You can’t taste the zucchini at all, but you know it’s in there just being nutritious and keeping the bread moist. It is te perfect side for chili, a comforting stew, or just to snack away on.
Zucchini Basil Skillet Cornbread [Vegan]
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil (can substitute all applesauce for oil-free, but texture will suffer)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease cast-iron skillet and place in oven to preheat. If not using a cast iron skillet, no need to preheat the pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a medium/large bowl. Whisk until combine.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix together until there are no spots of dry flour.
- Remove skillet from the oven (carefully, it's obviously hot!) and pour the batter in. Spread around in necessary to make an even layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy! Eat this with a little bit (or a lot) of blueberry jam slathered on top.