The not-so-secret ingredient in this banana bread is yogurt (plant-based, of course), which gives it a moist and fluffy texture. What could possibly be better with a cup of your favorite tea?
Yogurt Banana Bread [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup turbinado or regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt (I used coconut milk yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and butter a loaf pan.
- Mix ground flax seed and water in a small cup or bowl, set aside and let mixture thicken for at least five minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift flours and add baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl until pale, add sugar and cream again until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add flax mixture and vanilla and beat well to combine.
- Add banana and yogurt and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients (flour mixture) and mix to incorporate.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes, remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely before serving.