In this recipe, wild rice and chickpeas are mashed into hearty patties and then topped with grilled avocado and a salsa made from roasted heirloom tomatoes infused with jalapeño. The result is a tangy and slightly spicy burger with tons of flavor. Pair these burgers with a sweet and creamy coleslaw.
Wild Rice Burgers with Grilled Avocado and Heirloom Tomato Salsa [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Heirloom Tomato Salsa:
- 5 large heirloom tomatoes, whole
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 regular jalapeño pepper, with seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Wild Rice Patties:
- 2 1/4 cups cooked wild rice, drained
- 3/4 cup chickpeas
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, plus 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (the liquid from the can of chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
For the Grilled Avocado:
- 3 barely ripe avocados
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1-2 lemon or lime wedges
To Make the Heirloom Tomato Salsa:
- Heat the tablespoon of coconut oil in a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion with half a teaspoon of salt until it begins to brown. Add the jalapeño pepper. Put the tomatoes into the pot whole, and allow them to sit until their bottoms begin to blister. Begin preparing the chickpea and wild rice patties while you wait.
- When the bottoms are blistered and parts of the tomato begin to break down, use a pair of tongs or a wooden spoon to flip the tomatoes. Add the sugar. When the tomatoes are soft, smash them. Reduce the excess liquid by simmering the salsa with the lid off until you reach a desired consistency.
To Make the Wild Rice Patties:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease two baking trays.
- Mix the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the onion and garlic in a pan over medium heat, and sauté with a generous pinch of salt until fragrant and translucent, around 10 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic from the heat and, together with the chickpeas, pulse until it forms a rough purée.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, wild rice, and salt in a large bowl. Add the chickpea, onion, and garlic to the dry ingredients with the ground flax blend and aquafaba. Add the tapioca starch and, using your hands, mix well.
- Using your hands, form a ball with the patty mixture and flatten slightly with your hands. Space the patties an inch apart and bake for 22-25 minutes.
To Make the Grilled Avocado:
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Scoop the flesh of each half out with a spoon so that the avocado half is still intact and gently slice lengthwise.
- Squeeze the juice from the citrus. Brush each of the slices with some coconut oil and the lemon or lime juice.
- On medium heat, grill the avocados on a grill pan for 2 minutes. Flip to cook the other side.
- Remove from the heat.
- Spread the salsa on the buns. Top the patties with the grilled avocado and sandwich them between the buns.
The aquafaba in the patties is for binding purposes, do not use regular water in place of aquafaba.