Fill your home with the lovely, warm smell of lemon-infused baked goods when you make this bread. It's the perfect balance of sweet, plump dates and tart lemon, mixed with orange juice and a touch of maple syrup for additional sweetness. Toast a slice of this bread and then treat yourself to toast with jam. You earned it.
Whole Wheat Loaf with Lemon & Dates [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more as needed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking oil. Lightly spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking oil and line with parchment paper, if you like. Set the bowl and pan aside.
- Add all of the liquid ingredients, the non-dairy milk through lemon juice, to the bowl of a stand mixer. Run the mixer, using the paddle attachment, a few times to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (except for the chopped dates) and whisk. With the mixer running on the slowest speed, carefully add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients. Once it’s all added, increase the speed so that there are no dry bits. Stop the machine and replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook. Turn the mixer back on and if the dough looks too wet, add more flour a bit at a time, until a slightly tacky ball forms.
- Continue to mix for 6-8 minutes. Now you’re ready to add the dates. As the mixer runs, sprinkle in the chopped dates. You want to mix just until the pieces are incorporated evenly with the dough.
- Place the dough ball into the prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 90 minutes. Whole wheat dough doesn’t rise as much as all-purpose flour so don’t expect a huge rise. Punch down the dough and roll it into a roughly 9×5-inch shape. Place the loaf into the prepared pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let the loaf rise for about 1 hour or until the dough rises about 1-inch above the top of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and place the loaf back into the oven directly on the oven rack. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until nicely browned. The bottom of the loaf, when tapped lightly, should sound hollow and feel firm.
- Place the loaf on a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
Rise times during cool/cold months will be longer. Be patient and let the dough rise sufficiently before baking.