A easy cashew-based béchamel works wonders, turning a load of vegetables and beans into a hearty, fulfilling, protein- and fiber-rich meal. This was an instant family favorite. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.
White Bean Gratin [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
For the Béchamel Sauce:
- 1⁄3 cup raw cashews (preferably soaked in water for 4 hours or overnight)
- 1⁄2 cup plant-based milk
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked white rice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the coconut oil in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, celery, carrot and potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the tomato paste along with 1 cup (235 ml) of water, the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the white beans and cook, stirring, for another 15 minutes. In a high-speed blender, combine all the béchamel sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the bean mixture and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with chopped parsley and optionally serve alongside white rice.
- This recipe is reprinted with permission from Power Vegan Meals by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photos by Maya Sozer.