Say hello to the most flavorful summer salad ever. This watermelon salad stands out from all other watermelon salads — and the secret is warm ingredients. Adding one or two warm ingredients to a cold dish is a great way to mix things up and add dimension to your summer salad. This salad has a base of fresh greens, tangy kalamata olives and red onions, crunchy sprouts, and juicy watermelon. Then, you add the fried tofu and padrón peppers and toss everything in a refreshing basil-lime dressing.
Watermelon Salad With Fried Tofu and Basil-Lime Dressing [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
- 8 ounces padrón peppers
- 2 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon
- 8 ounces arugula
- 1 cucumber, cut into thick slices and halved or quartered
- 4 ounces sunflower sprouts
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- Oil, for frying
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
For the Basil-Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime, approximately 3 tablespoons
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor, or use a wand/immersion blender, and mix to a smooth liquid.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the cubed tofu until they get some color. Remove from the pan. Add some more oil, and fry the peppers until the skin is brown and blistered, remove from heat, and sprinkle with salt.
- Cut the watermelon into thick slices, remove the rind and cut into cubes or triangles.
- Add all the cold salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Top with the tofu and peppers and serve together with the basil-lime dressing