Wasabi is famous for its pungent sinus-clearing effects. Besides being fun to eat, it also has potent antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. With fiber powerhouse potatoes and immunity-boosting garlic, this comforting side is a flavorful way to get some important nutrients.
Wasabi Garlic Twice-Baked Potatoes [Vegan]
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F. Poke several holes in the potatoes, using a fork, and place on a small baking sheet. Bake until a knife can pass easily through the potatoes, about 50 minutes, depending upon the size of the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes in half. Using a baking mitt or clean towel to hold each potato, carefully scoop out the inside of the potatoes into a large bowl. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary. Return the skins to the baking sheet.
- Pre-heat the oven broiler to low. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or strong whisk. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the paprika and potato skins, and mix well. Portion out the mixture evenly into the potato skins on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with paprika and return to the top rack of the oven. Cook until the potato starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Top with vegan bacon, cashew sour cream, vegan cheddar cheese, etc. (optional).