This salad is comforting, warm, healthy, and colorful. Adding lentils into the mix adds both a protein and an earthy flavor. Left al dente, they remain firm, giving the salad a bit of bite. Finally, sliced avocado adds a satisfying creaminess. Serve this salad as an appetizer or as a main dish with some whole grain bread.
Warm Root Vegetable Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 2 purple sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- A pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 cups salad greens
- 1 ripe avocado
For the Dressing:
- 7 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the sweet potato into thin slices. Divide the onion into eights and transfer both vegetables in a medium-sized bowl. Add the olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir until everything is well coated.
- Distribute the veggies on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, until well baked and charred at the edges.
- In a small pot, bring water to a boil and cook the lentils. Don’t cook them all the way, you want them to be still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk until creamy.
- Wash the salad and drape on plates or in a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Add the lentils and the baked vegetables. Cut up the avocado and place on top. Garnish with freshly ground pepper.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS