Everyone knows the classic potato salad – mix up some boiled potatoes with mayonnaise and mustard, and voilà! But, what’s a girl to do if she wants to add more veggies and cut out the fattening mayo? Enter this warm potato salad: it’s cooked in a skillet with the addition of onions, peppers, mushrooms, and chickpeas. Adding fresh rosemary along with a few other spices brings out the flavors very nicely. Chickpeas make this salad more filling, so you can serve it as a meal, not just a side. Feeling adventurous? Throw this salad on a bed of greens, or wrap it in a whole-grain tortilla with some salsa for a tasty and compact lunch!
Warm Potato Salad With Spinach and Chickpeas [Vegan]
- 1 medium red potato, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces (can be left unpeeled)
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas or other beans
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 crimini mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- handful fresh spinach
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- salt, pepper to taste
- Heat up a heavy-bottomed nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, add cubed potatoes, spray them with some more cooking spray, stir with a spatula to distribute them evenly over the pan, and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8-10 min, stirring every 2-3 min to prevent the pieces from sticking to the pan. Meanwhile, chop onions, bell pepper and mushrooms.
- The potatoes are going to be almost done when they form a nice brown crust, and slide easily across the pan. If you pierce a piece with a fork, it should go in easily. Once the potatoes reach this point, add chickpeas, cover with a lid, and cook 2 min more.
- Remove the lid, add onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, salt and all of the spices except basil leaves. Continue to cook another 2 min, stirring often.
- Stir in a handful of spinach leaves. As soon as they begin to wilt, take the pan off the heat.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!