Crunchy vegetables, sweet apples, and earthy walnuts bring this salad together in a medley of satisfying flavors.
Warm Lentil Walnut Apple Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup uncooked green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet or quinoa
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 granny smith apple (or other tart variety), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast walnuts until fragrant and slightly darker in color, about 5 – 8 minutes. Let cool, then break into smaller pieces and set aside.
2. Combine lentils with just under 1 1/2 cups water in a medium pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
3. Combine millet or quinoa with 1 cup water in a medium pot, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until all the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Add chopped carrots, celery, apple and thyme to the garlic and onions. Continue to cook until the vegetables are slightly softened but still crunchy, about 5 – 10 minutes. Add the lentils and millet and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve immediately and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.