The black beans and walnuts give this burger a “meaty” and hearty texture, while the onions and tomatoes add sweetness. The avocado finishes it perfectly with its creaminess.
Walnut Black Bean Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Patties:
- 1/2 cup dry red rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup deshelled walnut
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
To Make the Sandwiches:
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, add salt and bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook al dente (it takes about 15 minutes with this rice).
- Rinse the black beans and mash them.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Mash 1/2 avocado.
- Mix the mashed black beans, cooked rice, chopped walnuts, oat flour, half avocado, dijon mustard, cumin seeds, and onion powder in a bowl, add salt.
- Form five patties and press firmly so they stick together.
- Place them in a preheated, oiled frying pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Cook the onion slices in an oiled frying pan until golden.
- Place the second half of the avocado in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Warm up the burger buns in the oven. Spread the mayo on the bun, add the lettuce, then your patty, and top with the onions, avocado puree, and finish with the cherry tomatoes.