Craving a meatball sandwich will all of the flavor and none of the meat? This is your recipe – it's savory, slightly sweet from the red sauce, and gets texture and freshness from the walnuts and kale. Plus, this recipe is affordable and effortless.
Walnut and Mushroom Meatball Sub [Vegan]
For the Meatballs:
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 8-ounce package sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can white beans
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 sub buns
- 2 cups kale
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 3/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
For the Sauce:
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
To Make the Meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place your walnuts and buns in the oven on lined or sprayed baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes. Then, set them aside.
- In a pan, over medium heat, add your minced garlic and drizzle it with olive oil. Cook until it's translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and Italian seasoning and continue to cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Lightly smash beans with your hand. Mash most of them leaving only a few solid beans.
- In a large bowl combine your beans, panko, walnuts, mushroom/onion mixture, red pepper, basil, and salt/pepper. Press the mixture into balls and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook each ball for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to rotate for an even cook.
- Once they are ready, add two meatballs to a sub. Top them with red sauce, kale, basil, more vegan parm.
To Make the Sauce:
- Simmer all the ingredients in a pot while you are making your meatballs.