This Vietnamese soup is warm, filling, and fragrant. The mushrooms and tofu provide the bulk of the protein and the vegetable broth and soy sauce combine to make a delicious base. Most Vietnamese people enjoy this dish for breakfast, which you are welcome to do as well, or make it if you're in need of a quick and easy lunch.
Vietnamese Pho With Mushrooms and Tofu [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 8 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger
- 3 star anise, whole
- 3 cloves, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt, to taste
- Rice noodles
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-ounce package tofu, diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
For the Toppings:
- 2 red chilis, sliced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cut the onion in quarters, chop the garlic, and slice the ginger.
- Pour broth into a large pot and add onion, garlic, ginger, star anise, cloves, and the cinnamon stick. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package and set aside. Fry mushrooms and tofu in a little bit of oil, add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Remove the broth from the heat and stir in the soy sauce. Pour into bowls and serve with rice noodles, tofu, mushrooms, sprouts, coriander, peanuts, chili, and red pepper flakes. Add salt to taste.