Love peppermint? Love mocha? Try this combination cookie that blends these two flavors into one delicious, irresistible bite-size snack and dessert.
Peppermint Mocha Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax + 3 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 4 oz Cacao Butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the flax and water. In a stand mixer, add the flax mixture, milk, vanilla, vegetable shortening, and applesauce and mix on medium until well combined. Turn the speed to low and slowly incorporate the dry ingredient mixture until it is all mixed together well.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet and scoop 1 tbsp of batter at a time onto the sheet. Wet the back of a spoon and flatten each cookie a bit into a circle - they will not spread while baking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Put on a rack to cool.
- While your cookies are cooling, melt the cacao butter in a double boiler. When melted, transfer to a small mixing bowl and add the vanilla and peppermint extract. Lightly grease another cookie sheet and take the cooled cookies and dip them into the cacao butter mixture, then place the cookie onto the greased cookie sheet. Add any toppings you'd like while it's still moist and then place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to set. Transfer to a plate in a cool area and repeat with the rest of the cookies. Store in a cool place. Makes 36 cookies.